Dasheeda Dawson, the executive director of Cannabis NYC, announced last week on social media that she was departing the agency. Launched in 2022 under the New York City Department of Small Business Services to help the city’s entrepreneurs secure cannabis licenses and launch their companies, Dawson was the program’s founding director.
In a statement posted to LinkedIn, Dawson — who worked previously as the top cannabis official for Portland, Oregon — said she was “transitioning to the next phase in my career” and that her focus would shift “towards elevating my impact and influence within the cannabis industry on a broader scale, both at state and federal levels.”
“We’ve shared a common goal: to build a new cannabis market that is equitable, accessible, sustainable and safe. Together, we have not only laid the groundwork for a thriving legal industry in New York City, but also, in 2.5 years we implemented groundbreaking and impactful initiatives that have set a new precedent for cannabis policy and practice nationwide.” — Dawson, via LinkedIn
The abrupt resignation, however, attracted mainstream attention to her role in NYC, and the New York Times reported Monday that Dawson’s departure follows a multi-month city investigation into a sexual harassment complaint filed against her.
Dawson denied the allegations, saying in the report that her “decision to resign is unrelated and was not made lightly.”
The complaint, filed by Jamila Washington and Monifa Foluke, claimed Dawson blacklisted the pair’s company after Washington refused a polyamorous relationship proposition. The company in question, Repot Box, is a tech company that encourages better recycling practices in the cannabis industry.
Officials have been investigating the allegations since last June, the report said.
Get daily cannabis business news updates. Subscribe
End